These gluten free tempura battered prawns are absolutely delicious and so quick and easy to make. This batter also works great with vegetables and mushrooms.
The secret to the perfect tempura is in the frying and dripping more batter on them as you fry them. There are some great videos on Youtube that show you the best ways to do this and it’s well worth a watch before you make these.
You can view Eddy Tseng’s video on making tempura batter here.
- 200g Corn Flour
- 200g Gluten Free Plain Flour
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 100ml Ice Cold Sparkling Water
- 200g of Prawns
- Oil for Frying
- Loosely mix half of the the corn flour and half of the plain flour together with the water and the egg yolk to form a fairly thin (full fat milk consistency) batter. Be careful not to over mix and don't worry about lumps
- Mix the remaining flour together and place onto a plate
- Dip the prawns into the flour mixture, then into the batter mixture
- Deep fry at around 180 degrees centigrade until golden brown (around 5 minutes)