This gluten free beer battered onion ring recipe is a big hit in our household and makes one of the most delicious tasting onion rings you can imagine. Whilst we think it definately tastes best with beer it also makes some incredibly tasty onion rings if you replace the beer with sparkling mineral water.
Gluten free beers are available in most supermarkets now, look out for brands like Greens which is a particularly good beer to use, especially the Premium Pilsner.
- 2 Large Red Onions
- 330 ml Beer, Ale or Lager, (Gluten Free)
- 100 g Cornflour
- 200 g Plain Flour, (Gluten Free)
- Sea Salt, To Taste
- 2 tbsp White Wine Vinegar
- Pre-heat a deep fat fryer to 190 degrees centigrade
- Slice the onions into rings and coat them in the remaining cornflour ensuring they have a light covering all over
- Add 75g of the Cornflour, Plain Flour and a good pinch of Salt into a large bowl and stir continuously whilst adding the beer and white wine vinegar.
- Add the onion rings, several at a time to the batter mix and deep fry in small batches until golden brown